Guidelines for your design of surface area and diffusion investigation:
This experiment [IA] is being assessed for DCP [data collection and processing] and CE [conclusion and evaluation]
Note: it is challenging for me, as the instructor, to provide enough information for success, yet little enough for serious thought and discussion. Struggle. I’ll judge when to jump in.
- the class collectively designs the experiment so that trails can be performed in a reasonable amount of time. Data from the trials are shared so each individual can independently analyse. Remember: the IB generally require 5×5 for data collection.
- require data collection to investigate surface area/volume ratio and effectiveness of diffusion.
- define effectiveness!
- use dialysis tubing as the ‘cell’
- use sugar [sucrose] to simulate cytoplasm and/or extracellular plasma/surroundings
- measure variables that are relevant to the investigation [THINK!!]
- Each student MUST understand the the collective procedure or the analysis will fail.
- Of course you must collaborate and research using the internet. It does not need to be an original design.
In your Blog provide the following:
- Introduction into the background information necessary to understand the research statement and report. Be accurate but terse.
- Research statement: An investigation into the effect of….
- Hypothesis: It is expected….
- Variables: independent, dependent, controlled variables [explain controlled variables]
- Data collection: Raw data table of 5×5 including AVE and STD.DEV — SHOW BOTH SETS OF DATA
- Data processing: SHOW THE >>>>??? — ANALYSE BOTH SETS OF DATA
- Conclusion: Aim met? Hypothesis?
- Evaluation. — Discuss the effect of the changes you made to your procedure
Note: I know I skipped the method/procedure but this was intentional due to the experiment being a group design.